Home > Get Involved > FAQs


The answers here are by their nature quite general.  If you have a specific question, please contact the fundraising department or coordinator of the organisation you are raising money for and they should be able to give specific advice.

How can I make sure my activity is legal and safe?

The Institute of Fundraising provide comprehensive guidance on issues such as fundraising laws, public events, fundraising with children, insurance and risk so please visit how2fundraise.org for advice.

Are there legal issues to take into account organising a raffle or lottery?

Under the terms of the Gambling Act 2005 a raffle is considered to be a lottery and must be run in accordance with the law. This is a complex legal area, so please investigate fully before going ahead.  The Charity Facts website has some useful information to start you off. If you’re planning on organising your own raffle or lottery, please check the rules on the Gambling Commission website.

Can I organise a street collection or go door-to-door?

Public collections undertaken for, or on behalf of, charities in public places are regulated by law and require a licence from the relevant authorities.  You must make sure you comply with the law and this fact sheet from Charity Facts might help you.

What is Gift Aid?

Gift Aid increases the value of donations to charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs) by allowing them to reclaim basic rate tax on your gift. If you’re making a donation and you pay tax, or you’re being sponsored and your sponsors pay tax, then it is possible the HM Revenue and Customs will give the charity an extra 28p for every pound raised. All you or your sponsors have to do say if you’ve paid any tax this year that adds up to more than the extra money being claimed. This is an easy way for your charity to get more money but your sponsors need to tick the appropriate box on your sponsorship form.   See the HRMC website for full information.

Where can I get a sponsorship form?

HMRC has a sponsorship form which allows for Gift Aid to be claimed.  Please follow this link: